The fundamental reason First Baptist Church of Tanner exists is to make disciples. God’s goal for us is not simply salvation; His goal is that we would become disciples once we are saved. It is not enough to say we are on our way to heaven. God desires our lives to become like the One taking us there.
What discipleship is not:
Discipleship is the developmental process of the local church that develops spiritually immature Christians into mature saints that, in turn, reproduce themselves into someone else.
What real discipleship is:
- It’s not a set of books or materials that you can read or study.
- It’s not a particular class or program that you can sign up for.
- It’s not a one- or two-hour Bible study.
- It’s not faithful attendance.
- Real discipleship is a relationship – someone that really cares for you.
- Real discipleship is a life on life process – pouring your life into another believer, showing them how to live for God with your life.
- Real discipleship is reproducing yourself in someone else – teaching someone to serve as you serve, to live for Christ as you live, to walk with God as you walk.
- Real discipleship is a life commitment – people that move from being spectators at church to becoming committed, involved, and excited about doing something for the Lord.
2 Timothy 2:2
And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
Christ took 12 men and freely gave to them so they in turn would freely give to others. That Gospel freely given has spread throughout and may not stop with us but only continue stronger one person at a time. It is our desire that you become actively involved in discipleship so that you can grow spiritually and become who God has called you to be. He wants to use you for His kingdom but it is up to you to engage your life in His will.